The 31st book of Proverbs has been well-known for revealing several pleasant qualities of a virtuous woman. She is diligent, industrious, a home-keeper, provides healthy food to her family and so forth. We have put a lot of pressure on women to step up their game and many of them have done so.
However, the 11th, 23rd and 28th verses reveal the man behind the exceptional woman:
11 Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value.
23 Her husband is respected at the city gate, where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.
28 Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her.
So, let’s introduce the Proverbs 31 man:
- He is fully confident in his wife’s abilities. This may be because he is encouraging her to continue to grow or has already supported her to a level of proficiency.
- He is influential in the city.
- He is a man of honor.
- He is successful in his calling, profession and career.
- He is worthy to sit among the elders of the city.
- He is respected by the elders of the city.
- He is financially comfortable enough to hire maids for his wife.
- His family has enough disposable income for his wife to buy a piece of land for gardening.
- He is a motivation to his wife: he praises her and brings the best out of her.
- He does not compete with his wife, but complements her.
- He does not put his wife down before their children, so the kids respect her.
- He praises his wife before his children.
The lessons for me are that the Proverbs 31 woman became so because she was supported by a P.31 man. Nonetheless, I commend several Proverbs 31 women that we have today, who became so without a P.31 husband motivating them to that level.
These are my initial thoughts; there are indeed several other scriptural qualities of a godly man. We really need more P.31 men today. What do you think? And what other qualities of P.31 men can we find? Please write them as comments.
Photo Credit: Readers’ Digest